We expect all students to treat others as they would like to be treated. Students are to respect themselves, other students, staff, building employees, the school and the building. There are five overarching school-wide rules. They are called the B.L.U.E.S. The B.L.U.E.S. are:
- Be ready to learn.
- Live responsibly.
- Uphold honesty.
- Earn and give respect.
- Stay safe.
Following the B.L.U.E.S. means:
- No fighting in or outside El Puente with any El Puente student even off school property
- No drugs or drug paraphernalia
- No weapons (includes but not limited to- gun, knife, pepper spray or any object used as a weapon)
- Respect students, staff, visitors, materials and the building
- No making verbal or written threats or electronic threats via the internet (i.e. Facebook or email)
- No hats to be worn in school and only worn properly on field trips when outside.
- No sunglasses on in the building
- No ribbing or horseplay
- No gambling/no dice
- No coming to school under the influence of an illegal substance or smelling of an illegal substance
- No gang symbols or paraphernalia
- No tagging or graffiti on school work, building property or personal property
- Cell phones should not be seen or heard within the school and are not to be used in school or on a field trip.
- No sleeping in class, not doing assigned work and/or head down
- Avoid being in restricted areas such as stairwell B, gym/basement (without permission), etc.
- No electronic devices such as iPad, iPod, or anything that has a screen or connects to the internet.
It is up to the discretion of the staff to determine if a device is allowable in the school or classroom.
- Be on time to class and return from lunch on time
- No breaks in between classes and no loitering during school hours
- Do not be out of the classroom without a pass and the classroom room pass should be used appropriately
- Making reference to illegal or inappropriate activities is not permitted
- No crude, vulgar or harmful language or profanity
- No behavior that is loud and/or disruptive of the learning environment in the classroom or the school building
El Puente’s Dress Code
- No wearing clothes with inappropriate language, pictures or symbols (profanity, references to drugs, alcohol, weapons, etc.).
- No sleeveless tops. All shirts must have sleeves.
- No exposing the midriff area; shorts and skirts should be the appropriate length that is to the fingertips when arms are extended on the each side.
General Classroom Policies
- Class time is sacred. Students are expected to remain in class the entire period unless given permission by their teacher and follow the school pass rule.
- Repeated and/or flagrant disruption of class by use of profanity or any inappropriate behavior will result in removal from the class and/or possible suspension. Suspensions can be issued by the administrator or other staff member. At the earliest possible time, a meeting involving the student, school administrator if necessary, the teacher whose class was disrupted, and parents, if necessary and possible, will be convened to resolve the problem.
- Any staff member can send a student home if a student is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, smells like an illegal drug or alcohol and/or if the student’s behavior is inappropriate. A parent conference may be held before the student can return to school.
As a student of El Puente High School, violating rules 1, 2, and/or 3 means you will have to leave EPHS. Violating other rules puts your placement in jeopardy.
To view El Puente’s procedures, including attendance policies, food and lunch expectations, school closing information, visitor policies, and parent involvement information, click here.